Researcher, NBC Sports
• Provided background information to local and Rio-based production teams for boxing, wrestling, fencing, judo, taekwondo and canoe/kayak
• Responded to inquiries regarding statistics, records and pronunciations
• Monitored traditional and social media for newsworthy items
Some of the storylines I helped research and promote:
• Fencer Ibtihaj Muhammad becomes first U.S. Olympian to compete while wearing a hijab
• Judo athlete Majlinda Kelmendi wins Kosovo's first Olympic medal since declaring independence in 2009
• Tension between Olympians from Israel and Arabic countries
Fort Worth, Texas
2012 - 2015
• Helped launch and operate 350-bicycle, 45-station bike share system
• Grant writing & management: awarded $500,000 in federal funding for system expansion
• Helped organize and promote system launch event featuring 300-volunteer bike ride garnering $130,000 in earned media coverage
• Oversaw communications efforts, including media relations, public relations, social media, event planning, and website and newsletter management
• Garnered coverage from media outlets around the world, including NBC Nightly News, Texas Tribune and Fort Worth Star-Telegram
• Created social media presence and rose following to 2,897 on Facebook 2,549 on Twitter and 1,040 on Instagram
Press Officer Fort Worth, Texas June 2010 - May 2014
•Media contact for U.S. Olympic Canoe/Kayak Team at London 2012 Olympic Games
•Media contact for the Olympic sport’s national governing body
•Wrote press releases, facilitated interviews, and updated website
•Garnered coverage from media outlets around the world, including Sports Illustrated, Time magazine, ESPN, BBC, New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Sports Business Journal and NPR.
•Grew following on Facebook (from 2,538 to 5,213) and Twitter (from 0 to 4,898) Releases: Click HERE to read a recap of the 2013 Sprint National Championships Click HERE to read a recap of the 2013 Slalom National Team Trials
Features: Click HERE to read the story of paracanoe athlete Megan Blunk. Click HERE to read the story of two Hungarian-American kayakers.
• Represented the U.S. as part of the International Olympic Committee's "Young Reporters" program - one of 15 reporters from around the world
• Wrote features and competition recaps for Innsbruck2012.com • Gathered flash quotes for senior reporters Click HERE for a bobsleigh recap. Click HERE for a feature on the tradition of U.S. alpine skiing.
Communications Intern Fort Worth, Texas May 2011 - May 2012 •Updated website and Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, and Foursquare accounts •Created YouTube page that recorded more than 9,721 views •Managed blog and put together monthly e-newsletter •Profiled various user groups of the Trinity River and Trinity Trails •Promoted, photographed and filmed events Click HERE for my blog post featuring the Metroplex Water Ski Club. Click HERE for my blog post on Mayfest. Pitches: Click HERE to read my contribution to the Dallas Morning News running blog. Click HERE to read my interview with the109.org.
• Primary media contact for the Olympic sport’s national governing body
• Wrote press releases, facilitated interviews, and managed website and social media
• Garnered coverage from media outlets around the world, including Washington Post, Dallas Morning News and Xinhua News Agency (China)
• Covered U.S. fencers at 2010 FIE World Cup in New York City, 2010 Summer National Championships in Atlanta and 2010 Youth Olympic Games in Singapore
Click HERE to read my feature on Olympic silver medalist Tim Morehouse.
Click HERE to read an article from Summer Nationals.
Click HERE to read an article from the NYC World Cup.
• Represented the U.S. as part of the International Olympic Committee's "Young Reporters" program - one of 28 reporters from around the world • Produced print, video, audio, photographic and social media content for use by the International Olympic Committee and its various media outlets • Wrote content for TeamUSA.org and Olympic.org
Click HERE to read my recap of the men's and women's bronze medal basketball games. Click HERE to read a swimming recap. Click HERE to read my Q&A with hockey player Angela Ruggiero.
• Maintained the official 2010 U.S. Olympic Team roster file and responded to media requests from newspapers across the country • Transcribed flash quotes from press conferences and post-competition mixed zone sessions for Pressbox.TeamUSA.org • Assisted the press attaché for the U.S. Alpine Ski Team on-site at each competition • Posted from @USOlympic Twitter account to more than 7,500 followers and created @usocbrk Breaking News account for more than 500 journalists during the Games
Click HERE for my press release announcing the 2010 U.S. Olympic Team. Click HERE to read my flash quotes following a women's alpine skiing event. Click HERE to read my transcript of the doubles luge press conference.
Media Relations Intern Colorado Springs, Colo. July – January 2009
• Coordinated USOC Athlete of the Month and SportsMan of the Year honors including working with National Sport Governing Bodies to garner nominations, issue ballot and write press release • Assisted in organizing the 2010 U.S. Olympic Team Media Summit in Chicago including creating schedules for 75 Olympic hopefuls and overseeing their photo sessions • Assisted in organizing the filming of an episode of NBC’s The Biggest Loser at the Olympic Training Center • Produced weekly Olympic Sports Scene e-newsletter with recaps and previews of all Olympic sports
Click HERE to read my press release announcing the 2009 USOC Awards. Click HERE to read my feature on luge athlete Noelle Pikus-Pace. Click HERE to read one of my USOC Athletes and Team of the Month announcements.
• Covered University of Texas Longhorn baseball during the 2007 season • Researched and previewed upcoming football and baseball opponents • Called high school coaches and compile statistics of recruits
Click HERE to read one of my baseball game recaps.